Friday, November 19, 2010

Final Countdown

So with huge turnout at the advance polls and only 18 hours before general voting begins, this is shaping up to be an interesting week (and year)! A lot of people are urging you to get out and vote of the referendum, and so Victoria Votes would like to take a minute to do the opposite. Vote on the bridge, sure, but don't neglect the Council vote as well! History has shown that people running for re-election almost always get in, and so whoever wins this round will quite likely be sitting in their seat for alot longer than a year. Choose wisely, because you might not be able to take it back - and do make the choice, because otherwise someone else is going to make it for you. We called everyone to touch base, and here is what they said:

The Candidates Say (in no particular order):

Saul Andersen

The interviews are fun, and I'm still getting good feedback from people. I'm a little disappointed in the city for the extent to which they've used their marketing power to push the yes vote on us. What's the point in having this referendum if they've already made up our minds for us? Meanwhile, I think it's got boondoggle written all over it. When was the last time an $80m project came in under budget? What happens when it goes over budget? What about the interest, how much more does that count for?

Anyway, I'm encouraged by the voter turnout at the advanced polls, and regardless of whether you vote for the Council spot or not, vote for the referendum, that's the real issue this time around.

Saul is having a DIY campaign shirt screening at the Olio collective, 614 ½ Fisgard, bring your own shirt, from 12-4 on Saturday.

Marianne Alto

I think it's been such a fascinating experience. People have been so receptive and welcoming, wanting to talk about a range of issues, which I've been really quite thrilled about because people have been so focussed on the bridge. I've had a great opportunity to talk to people about homelessness, transportation, and how people would like to be involved in city government.

I guess the most interesting thing has been people coming up to me and talking about totally unexpected things like skate parks, spotzoning, garden suites... It seems like when people are engaged they really think about what's best for their community, and it's been a pleasure to discuss that with them.

My biggest concern is voter turnout, so I guess the message I'd like to get out to anyone who reads this is if there's any issue at all that really touches you, the first step to getting that addressed is to get out and vote.

I'd also love to have the opportunity to thank all the people who have been so supportive and welcoming.

Barry Hobbis

Well I'm feeling average. I think it's going to be very close on the referendum and the election. That said, I hope the referendum gets a no vote, and I also think there are some other people running that if they won I wouldn't be terribly upset. My final message is a) get out and vote, and b) pay attention to what's going on in your city, next time don't end up playing catch up with your Mayor and Council over issues like the blue bridge.

George Sirk

One one hand you have the Kings and Queens of Council saying they are in favour of Heritage, while with the other side of their mouths, they are ordering up the smelters to fire the boilers! Victorians have to ask themselves, "Why is the longest serving Council member opposed to destroying our city's icon?" Vote Sirk for Real Heritage Values! Let's throw Council into the boilers!

Rose Henry

I am feeling frustrated over the lack on information getting out to the public. We need to bring everyone to the table. Starting with First nation in either council position or an adviser role, also we need to get other people facing multiple barriers involved in the decision making role. We need to get the voters attention

Hugh Kruzel

It has been an energizing six weeks. I hope we can continue and grow this engagement. Increasing the turn-out to City Council meetings and getting citizens to willingly participate in committees could be a reality if many took an active interest beyond election fever. I encourage all to come to the table with their ideas. I hope the current and future councilors understand that there are many who will stand and defend ideals, due-process, and principles. Democratic behaviour means our voices are welcomed and respected. My prayer is that strong voter turn-out will bring a message that independently and collectively we can shape the texture of our urban landscape, how our city functions, and how governance should perform. The ways and means employed by the city to sway the referendum is not an acceptable route. Yes, Vote, but VOTE NO.

Susan Woods

I am very pleased that I've had the opportunity, as a candidate, to share my view that the Blue Bridge is an important heritage asset that we must respect and protect. I have found that most voters agree, and I believe that there will be a solid "no" vote this Saturday. Thank you for your coverage of this by-election. Well done.

Paul Brown

I am feeling optimistic while at the same time trying to be realistic. I am pleased with my campaign. I believe I have had a significant hand in shaping the agenda beyond a focus on the blue bridge, particularly around the need for 'regional funding for regional issues' (as opposed to the pipe dream of amalgamation).

I also have been pleased with my ability to challenge other proponents, Marianne Alto in particular, around her platform. In some ways I feel badly for the way I have challenged her, however she has the support of the NDP, most on Council and Organized Labour - she needs to speak to the issues and though has been reluctant to.

I am not without fault as well. Being a first timer, I have been naive in many areas, however my strengths are two fold: a well thoughtout issue based platform; and my ability to present my ideas concisely and clearly.

Pedro Mora

I feel very pleased by being able to participate in this democratic process.

Rimas Tumasonis

I'm tired and hopeful. I think people will probably come to their senses and realize that the blue bridge flap is a scam – you know them [council] by their actions, not their words. I am convinced and ever hopeful that people will vote for me, I can be a fresh young face and still not one of the usual suspects. Even if I don't get in, I'm sure my ideas will live on.

Steve Filipovic

I do think it's going well, a lot of people are coming up to me and thanking me for what I'm doing and complimenting me on my campaign. The really important thing now is to get your neighbours out, call your friends and get them to vote. Share your enthusiasm for our our democracy.

The News Machines Say:




Thanks everyone for making Victoria Votes a huge success. According to our most recent count, we got just under 1400 visitors to this site, so hopefully we've done our jobs and at least that many people are better informed than they would have been. Get out and vote tomorrow, and best of luck to us all.
V V

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More