Friday, November 5, 2010

Interview with George Sirk

We're nearing the end of our stack of candidate interviews, so stay tuned for as many issue-based interviews as we can cram in before the election.

If you haven't taken the time to go over which candidate you're going to vote for, bear in mind that there are only TWO WEEKS left before the election! B Channel News is a great place to go for short video interviews with all of the candidates except Susan Woods, who was unavailable at the time of those interviews.

V V: This term is shorter than usual, what can we accomplish over the next year?

G S: I was elected for three terms (9 years) to the Comox-Strathcona Regional District representing Cortes Island. This means that I am familiar with the Local Government Act, which governs municipalities. I don't need any 'ramping up' time to know what to do in council. I want to see council adopt a "Not everyone is a driver, but everyone uses a crosswalk" policy. We need to vastly improve our walking and cycling infrastructure to make it safer and well defined. We must have a new skateboard park, a low maintenance, safe place for our youth.

V V: What is one thing that everyone should know about you?

G S: I have a strong sense of community. My nine years of elected office taught me the importance of being always available for my constituents. Sometimes the timing was awkward for me, but I knew that the issue being raised meant a great deal to the those concerned. I will bring my genuine interest in helping people to council. I'm a naturalist by trade and passion and I will bring that naturalist's perspective to council as well.

V V: Is there any issue you want to talk about, and what are your thoughts about it?

G S: Control spending, for example, I support ARESST, where the focus is on solving the cross-contamination of our storm drains and sewage, and chemical point-source contamination, not on expensive sewage treatment plants. Our #1 industry is tourism thus we should refocus on the heritage values of Victoria. Small business will benefit from an increase of tourism. Our entrepreneurial spirit will flourish.

Read the full text of George Sirk's interview with Monday Magazine here

Thanks again to B Channel News for allowing us to use their in-depth candidate interviews here at Victoria Votes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More