Saturday, October 23, 2010

Interviews with Rimas Tumasonis

Rimas Tumasonis is the first of our candidate interviews, which will be posted as they happen. Stay tuned for our interview with Saul Andersen.

This interview is going to be a little different from the others you'll see posted here, because as he puts it, Rimas Tumasonis is “not one of the usual suspects”. No sound bites, no short statements from this council candidate - “I can't tell you all about myself in 40 words or less”, says Tumasonis, explaining his preference for real face to face conversation rather than packaged answers. “Take what you think is important [from this interview], that's how the brain works.” So that's what I've done.

Rimas Tumasonis seems like he stepped out of an article by Hunter Thompson. The conversation jumped around, a huge variety of topics were covered, and nearly half of the interview was jokes or quotes from various authors and movies. All told, a fun and interesting start to this run of candidate interviews.

What sets Rimas Tumasonis apart from the other candidates in this by-election? “Look at the usual suspects, and ask yourself – are they going to do anything they've said after the election? Of course not! They're getting their cues from polls, they can't make a move without someone else to tell them what to do.”

On the subject of why we should vote for him, Tumasonis had this to offer: “I'm not a politician, I didn't spend years on student council or anything like that. I'm doing this with my own money, my campaign office is in my briefcase, my campaign manager is a sock monkey.” but that's the point, according to Tumasonis “I don't think I'm better than you, and that's why you should vote for me.”

Tumasonis isn't using the internet for his campaign either, stating his intent to run a word of mouth campaign and welcoming people to spend some time talking to him in person.

Tumasonis summed things up: “I am that weird, and that is why you want me on City Council.”

Thanks to B Channel News for allowing Victoria Votes to post their video interviews, which will accompany all of our candidate interviews in these posts, like so:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More