Monday, October 25, 2010

Interviews with Saul Andersen

Victoria Votes did an interview with Saul Andersen, our second candidate interview to date. Andersen is a local cab driver and volunteer, and has been running for office for the past few years, because as he puts it "Apart from being the world's greatest cab driver, I don't know what else to do!".
The questions in bold are what we will be asking every candidate.

VV: This is a shorter term than usual, what do we need to do this year?

SA: Victoria needs to step up and say “Hey, we're a metropolis too!” The first thing I would do is open a fixed site needle exchange, because it's not just for a few people, it's a public health issue. We also need to make this a provincial issue.

VV: Why is a needle exchange a provincial issue?

SA: Because it's a health care issue, and it's not just Vancouver that needs an Insite, what about Victoria, what about Nanaimo or Kelowna? I'd love to go to other Councils in the province and hear their thoughts on this and get together to demand that the Province step up and do their job. Call it a health care centre if you want, maybe the idea of a needle exchange just puts people off, but it is a public health issue no matter what.

We need to bring food security back into out lives. We need to intensify our food production and get people engaged with that. Farming seems to be forgotten in the urban environment, there's a lack of connection with nature and I think we can restore that starting in schools and through City programs. To start with, we have a lot of marketing resources that could be directed toward community initiatives like this.

VV: Anything else for this year?

We need to preserve the local character of Victoria. I didn't understand hegemony until I moved here and saw the Payless turn into Shell, the Starbucks keep popping up on every corner, the Blockbusters and the Wal-Marts. Victoria's character is what makes it worth being here. I don't want to live in a Starbucks culture, and I didn't get that until I started living here.

VV: What's something everyone needs to know about you?

This is me doing my civic duty. I'm not a politician, I'm a citizen, and I think that I can maintain my integrity when I'm in office. I know there are limitations, but if you can't do it from the top down, start with the grassroots. I call bullshit on anybody who thinks they're greener than me. True green economies are not capitalist, acquisition-driven economies. The green party just strikes me as conservatives who feel bad. I'm not hearing anyone else who's advancing a really anti-corporate agenda, and that's what sets me apart from other candidates.

VV: Then why did you get into politics?

SA: When I left University to come here, I was a total nihilist. I figured this would be a great place to put my feet up and watch the world collapse, but things just seemed to keep going, Starbucks kept popping up on every corner and everyone still wants a new iPod, and when I had a kid I figured I'd better start caring, so that's what I'm doing.

VV: Anything you need to get out there?

SA: That we can leave this a better place than we found it. I believe Victoria is the last safe place from which to change the world. We are the best equipped to take advantage of new technologies and new ways of doing things, and we can embrace that.


Thanks to B Channel News for allowing Victoria Votes to post their video interviews, you guys rock.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More