Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Charlayne Thornton-Joe Q&A

Charlayne Thornton-Joe is running for her third term on Victoria Council. She is the highest polling elected representative in the city, having garnered more votes in the last election than even either of the mayoral candidates (9887, or 9.64% of votes cast). Her record on Council seems to focus on the issues of homelessness and economic development - her website is here and here are her survey answers:

Q: Why are you running and why should I vote for you?

A: I am running for the same reasons that inspired me the first time that I ran, I want to make a difference and I want to be able to serve the community to the best of my abilities. I have been involved with many non-profits and I wanted to see how I could become even more involved. You should vote for me because I am compassionate, a hard worker, and am a team player. I work with others to try to find solutions to issues in our community.

Q: What issue is most important to you and why?

A: Unfortunately, there are so many issues that we deal with every day, and I try to put what the citizens say is the most important to them to the top of my list as well. I have put a lot of my energy to the issue of homelessness, mental illness and addiction....and because of the complexity of the issue of homelessness, it has also included poverty and cost of living issues. Anyone that knows me, knows I am also passionate about animals, so I have also tried to be a voice for them as well! Why am I involved with these issues? I don't like to see suffering of any kind, so I work to try to solve human suffering and abuse of animals.

Q: What's something people don't know about you?

A: Hmmmmm, my life is pretty much an open book so it is hard to think what is unknown.....when I was 8, I got to go on stage with Diana Ross and the Supremes at Caesar's Palace!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More