Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Geoff Young Q&A

Geoff Young is running for re-election to Victoria Council. According to Victoria Vision, Geoff is Victoria's longest-serving councillor, with 23 years in office. He has been an advocate for alternative transportation, sound financial management, and environmental protection. His website is here and here are his survey answers:

Q: Why are you running and why should I vote for you?

A: The city needs experience and a balanced approach to ensure our city remains inviting and affordable for young people, families, seniors and business. I bring an understanding of the wide range of issues that affect the city and the region through my experience at council, the CRD (the last three years as chair) and the community, and through my professional training as an economist.

Q: What issue is most important to you and why?

A: Addressing climate change is our most important long term priority.

Our best way of reducing greenhouse gas emissions is through good regional planning - I support rapid transit systems, density in the downtown, and walkable communities, but regional planning to reduce energy consumption and preserve the environment would be easier if everyone paid the true cost of travel, particularly road travel.

A carbon tax on a global scale would also mean more demand for local food as the price of distant-sourced food rose to reflect transportation costs. We must not sacrifice the benefits of compact communities to guarantee local food supplies, but we can have some land that does double duty, providing open space and recreation as well as food.

Q: What's something people don't know about you?

A: It is my views and how I have voted on the issues of concern to you that I hope will determine your vote. Have a look at my website, which is full of my thoughts on many topics, or give me a call, if you are curious.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More